Contributing stock to the Brian Grant Foundation may provide greater tax benefits than donating cash while still allowing you to achieve your charitable giving goals for the year. We’re set up to accept stock gifts and can work with you and your financial advisor on this type of contribution to support our mission.
How To Donate Stock Gifts
Donating stock to the Brian Grant Foundation is a great way to achieve your giving goals while avoiding capital gains tax and maximizing your charitable deductions. Consult with your financial advisor to consider the following options:
Donating Depreciated Stock
If a stock has decreased in value since you purchased it, it is considered “depreciated.” To receive the tax benefits from this type of donation:
- Sell the depreciated stock first and collect the proceeds.
- Donate the cash to Brian Grant Foundation.
This strategy allows you to claim both a capital loss deduction and a charitable deduction on your taxes.
Gifting Appreciated Stock
For stocks that have increased in value, you can donate the shares directly to the Brian Grant Foundation without selling them first so you can:
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciated value.
- Claim the full market value of the shares as a charitable deduction.
How to Donate Stock to the Brian Grant Foundation
- Contact Katrina Kahl, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide advance notice of your gift or if you have any questions.
- Instruct your broker to electronically transfer the shares. When you contact us, we can provide you with the details of our brokerage account to make this transfer.
- Send us the following information about your gift:
- Donor name and contact information.
- Type of stock and number of shares.
- Any special instructions you may have for your gift.
If you have any questions, contact Katrina at email@example.com or at (503) 274-9382. Thank you for your support of the Brian Grant Foundation!
Want to learn more about living with PD?
Here are a couple great next steps: