Soups are a great way to make healthy lunches. Make extra batches to store in the refrigerator or freezer and you’ll have multiple healthy meals ready to go! The lentils in this recipe add a healthy dose of fiber to the soup. The combination of spices and vegetables packs a lot of nutrients into one dish. If you’re having trouble chopping vegetables, look for prepared vegetables at your grocery store.
- Preheat a large stock pot to medium high.
- Add onions and root vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, lentils, dry spices and toast lightly to enhance flavor, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add water or stock, enough to cover all of the dry ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- After 25 minutes add kale and allow to cook lightly for the rest of the duration.
- Season with salt and pepper to finish.
Rajiv Harry is a Health and Wellness expert in Portland. Learn more about Rajiv at embracechange.me.