Guest contributor Tiffany Kent brings us her take on traditional “morning glory” muffins. Thanks to added applesauce this recipe is oil and butter-free. Better yet, it’s packed with fruits and even a veggie! Flaxseed and whole wheat flour give it extra fiber and will help keep you feeling happy and satisfied throughout the day.
Recipe yields approx. 1 dozen muffins
What You’ll Need:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups grated carrots
1 ripe banana, “mashed”
¾ cup applesauce
½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup shopped walnuts
½ cup oats
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (apricots or chopped dates work too!)
2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ginger
½ tsp. nutmeg
1. Spray a muffin pan with your favorite nonstick. Heat the oven to 375-degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, brown sugar, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and flaxseed meal.
3. In another bowl, combine grated carrots, mashed banana, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix together. Add in 3 eggs, one at a time, whisking thoroughly each time.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry flour mixture and mix using a wooden spoon or spatula. Fold in chopped walnuts, unsweetened coconut, and raisins or other dried fruit.
5. Distribute batter into muffin tins ¾ the way full. Bake 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Thaw 30 minutes before consumption. Enjoy!
Get more recipes from Tiffany at TabletoSoul.com. Follow her on Instagram at @Tiff_Kent.