Did you know that eggplant contains a powerful antioxidant that can help protect your cells from damage? No matter how you slice it, that’s a great reason to add eggplant to your diet. Pair this Smoky Baba Ghanoush dish with whole wheat bread or crackers and find out for yourself how delicious healthy eating can be.
This recipe is provided by our partners at Market of Choice. Learn more at www.marketofchoice.com.
Active prep time: 30 min
Non-active time: 30 min
Make ahead: up to 1 week, covered and refrigerated
To view photos of eggplant preparation, visit the Market of Choice website.
- Set grill to medium-high heat. Prick eggplants a few times with a fork.
- Place on grill or over open flame. Broil, turning and charring all sides until soft and collapsed, approx. 30 min. Place in a heat-resistant container, cover tightly to steam, for 20 min.
- Transfer to cutting board, slice open lengthwise with a knife.
- Spoon out pulp with a spoon.
- Scoop as close as possible to the charred skin.
- Drain pulp in a colander and remove large pieces of skin. Drain pulp in a colander and remove large pieces of skin.
- On cutting board, coarsely chop garlic. Add 1/2 t salt and mash with garlic until smooth, using back of a knife. Scrape into a medium-size bowl. On same board, roughly chop eggplant; add to garlic with 1 t salt and combine. Add tahini and lemon juice; mix well. Add cumin; adjust salt and/or lemon to taste. Cover; refrigerate one hour minimum, for flavors to meld. Transfer to serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac and parsley. Serve at room temperature.