Chili is a great way to make healthy lunches. Make extra batches to store in the refrigerator or freezer and you’ll have multiple healthy meals ready to go! This recipe combines fiber-rich black beans with antioxidants found in sweet potatoes. Combined with olive oil, cilantro and garlic, you get a flavorful and nutritious mix.
- Heat oil on medium high in a stock pot.
- Add onion and sweet potato. Cook approximately 5 minutes until onions and sweet potato soften.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and chipotle. Season with salt and pepper. Toast garlic and seasonings evenly, for approximately 45 seconds.
- Throw in water and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes soften.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Cook on simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, approximately 4-6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, fresh squeezed lime and cilantro.
Rajiv Harry is a Health and Wellness expert in Portland. Learn more about Rajiv at embracechange.me.